Glenwood is a town rich in history of ancient cultures, geological wonders, famous Apaches, miners, ranchers, mountain men, outlaws and military men. To name a few: Sgt. James Cooney, Victorio, Geronimo, Cochise, Butch Cassidy & the Wild Bunch , Billy the Kid, Ben Lilly, Olaf Wieghorst and Montague Stevens who owned the WS Ranch
Glenwood is nestled below the Mogollon Mountains 65 miles north of Silver City, New Mexico and 38 miles south of Reserve, New Mexico. Population in 2010 was 143. Known in 1878 as the Bush Ranch, it later became 'Whitewater' for the Creek that flows from the mountains; as a stage coach stop.it was: "Glenwood Springs"; from 1904-06 it was: Clear Creek. In 1906 when the Post Office moved to it's present location it was named Glenwood by Sarah Kitt. Allen Bush, Doc Rowe and his brother George were instrumental in establishing Glenwood as a safer place to be between settlements.
In 1893 the Graham Mill was built at the mouth of Whitewater Canyon and the town of Graham developed. Three miles of pipe were used to build a water line up the canyon to run the steam generators at the mill. Teams of up to 40 horses pulling wagons delivered the pipe to the site. Ore was pulled down the mountain to a chute on the ridge above the mill by smaller teams. Brace holes were drilled into the rock walls, sometimes 20 feet above the canyon floor, to hold the timbers and iron bars that supported the water line. The mill closed in 1913 and the town faded away. “Billy the Kids,” step-father William Antrim was the town’s blacksmith. Remnants of the Mill can be seen on the canyon wall overlooking the parking area of the Catwalk National Recreation Trail.
Whitewater Canyon saw few visitors until the 1930's when the Civilian Conservation Corps. was assigned the task of building The Catwalk as a recreation attraction for the Gila National Forest. In 1961 the Forest Service replaced the old wooden Catwalk with a new hanging metal walkway; both followed the path of the pipeline.